A Pork Roll In Life...

Ever been to Jersey? Do you love Original Taylor Ham or Trenton Pork Roll? This blog is dedicated to those who must have that highly-addictive, native New Jersey treat...

Monday, June 19, 2006

Summer Homework for Students - yawn

A subject near and dear to me just showed up in New Jersey news today. Should kids have required summer homework?

Some will hit the books more than the beach
Students get required summer homework to keep up - Monday, June 19, 2006
BY KRISTEN ALLOWAY Star-Ledger Staff

If you click on the link, you'll see what the latest Jersey buzz on homework is.

I thought summer was supposed to be about hanging around town, taking family vacations, staying at Grandma's house, etc. Summer usually meant "going someplace other than school."

We always took our kids to places where they'd get some hands on learning, and not always on purpose. Whether it was to Hacklebarney State Park to experience Jersey nature up close and personal, (although the leeches that stuck to their little legs after wading was a bit too close of a nature study for me), or a local museum, libraries, historical tours of our own towns and cities, the list was endless. I had a not so fun time trying to explain the mating ritual of Horse Shoe Crabs after a dinner outing down the shore once. Literally thousands of them were strewn on the sand like a horrible Nor'easter tossed them up there. I had to go home and look it up myself.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sure, sure. Kids love museums? I rememebr having to spend 7 hours in the Metropolitan with my father and i would have rather played baseball. Summer is for sports, not school, why. Because I said so. good to see you still out here, katie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home